Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Secret Project

Well, my secret project can now be revealed since it has been given to the recipient. Although, it probably wasn't that secret since I have mentioned it here before, but after my Mom got on Ravelry I decided not to talk about it anymore in case she read this. Are you reading Mom?

For my Mom's birthday I knit her Mags Kandis' Modern Quilt Wrap. The momment I saw this pattern on Knitting Daily last summer I knew it would be perfect for my Mom, the quilter, the knitter.



I ordered the Rowan Kidsilk Haze in the colours recommended in the pattern from Webs in early September. All of it was backordered. Forever. I think it was February before I finally received it.



I started knitting March 1, with my May 29th deadline. It was slow to begin, I've never worked with Kidsilk Haze before, it's very tiny and I was using my Addis because that's what I had and I don't really like bamboo so I wasn't going to buy any unless this really wasn't going to work.



It works. And I got faster once I got the hang of it, pretty slippery though and the grey yarn was tough to see on the silver needles. I really enjoyed knitting this, I though I would get tired of mitred squares, but I think the colour changes every 5-7 rows kept the interest higher. I finished on May 1st. I wove in the ends as I went and I'm so glad I did. I think I had about 8-10 ends to sew in when I was done and after I clipped them off, I added them to the one cup of ends I already had. I don't even want to think about how many that is.



It turned out really beautifully, although, I'm a bit critical of the edges, but that's my own pathology.



Modern Quilt Wrap by Mags Kandis
From
Folk Style: Innovative Designs to Knit, Including Sweaters, Hats, Scarves, Gloves and More, but I downloaded it as a free pattern from Knitting Daily
Rowan Kidsilk Haze
4.5mm Addi Turbos


Someday soon it should stop raining and I'll show you all my unfinished "Earth" projects. And my new RSC08 yarn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful beautiful beautiful!! Your mom will love it!